Busted Leg/A Look at the Drivetrain
Well, my first Hexbug hiccup happened a few days ago, and tonight, I managed to fix it. Basically one of the joints on the lower set of legs popped out of it’s socket, after some horsing around with my little son. It is still one of our favorite toys here at home. I hope that when I finish the project, the robot will be even more fun for everyone.
Fixing the joint was a bit tricky due to the tiny little parts, and how tightly everything is fit together in there. However, I think it was an important step to get in there and figure out how to take everything on the underside apart – what I guess would be called the drivetrain, the mechanical system that drives the legs and steering. The whole thing is really ingenious, it uses one motor to swivel around, but all of the locomotion is handled by a single motor moving a piston with all six legs attached. The linkages on the legs are pretty cool looking.